View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:23 AM

Captain

Tampa_Gamer is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestion for Modding Forum/Knowledge Base

Like other SE releases, us modders tend to do a lot of independent trial and error as we slowly learn what works and what does not in the way of modding the files. Typically, this means we all cover the same ground many times and thus waste precious free time.

I would like to see Shrapnel benefit from the continued loyalty of the SE fans by increased traffic on their website. Already, we have a couple of SEV modding threads that are too long to be of much use to someone who has a specific question regarding a specific data file. In order to capture our combined trial and error, and as a starting point for people just starting to mod a particular data file, I would propose that a new subforum be created just for SE V Modding (similar to the SE V Scenario\Mod one).

Within that subforum I would also propose that you would still have general Qs about this and that relating to modding, but I would also like to see a dedicated/pinned thread for each of the major data files (like the one I started for the VehicleUnitTypes.txt). This would allow us to continue our sharing of knowledge, but do it in a manner that preserves in one spot what we are doing rather than scattered threads all over the place (as what happened with SE4). Eventually, once consensus was reached on certain points, the kernals of truth regarding the data files could be slowly copied to the wiki.