View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Brigadier General

President_Elect_Shang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Distance Increments?

So that was 299,792_point_458! That web site was so hard to read! Um, MainStrings.txt! Well I suppose I need to setup a Knowledge Base for that next before I forget what I have already done. The MainStrings.txt seems to be the hidden key to unlocking everything you can do in SE5. I’m surprised no one else has modded it. Wow I really am pioneering some new ground here aren’t here?

Since I won’t be setting up that KB till later here is what I will add. I have managed to change text but you cannot delete any lines. Even if you renumber to close the gap up when you start SE5 it will complain the lines are missing and stop running. You can rename items but if they start up with a blue box as in the main startup screen you need to replace any text you remove with a place holder or the box will move to sit on the one above it. For example let’s say you want to remove the option for no warp points. You will need to delete the text then place something there (I placed “No Longer Used”) so the box that was no warp points won’t move up and sit on the box above it. You will be able to change the text to say km/s instead of ls. Just make sure it is not a descriptor for a formula, which I am not aware of any that use ls. Also if you need to know what formula descriptors you can use (an example of what I am calling a descriptor would be Get_Empire_Tech_Level) just look in the MainString.txt. It won’t tell you how to use it or which files it can be used in but so far every descriptor I have pulled from there works after figuring out how to plug the info in. Just remember that all of the descriptors listed there have had the capital letter removed and you will need to replace it. In other words using the same example I just gave Get_Empire_Tech_Level appears in MainStrings.txt as get_empire_tech_level. So you would need to replace the letters G, E, T, and L with the capitalized version. I will post all this more clearly (I hope) later today or tonight.