View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2007, 01:04 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: -InsertName- died retreating into enemy territ

Quote:
Sarvoth said:
Well I don't like those cowardly gate locking traitors, I had some scared skeletons I suppose; lol... Is there any way to mod the option of routing during a siege out, or some work around solution? I don't have any modding experience with DOM; but my playstyle at the moment is turtling to create an SC spellcaster with Ermor and then use him to lead massive undead legions. But I've failed twice now, due to him routing during a siege on my capital that I actually won.. :-o
Seems to me the real problem is figuring out why your guys routed. You said you were holding the gate, which means the enemy was trying to storm the castle and you were the defender, so the 50-turn limit was on the enemy, not you. Once 75% of the army is destroyed, the non-mindless and non-berserk units auto-route, so it's possible that you'd raised enough skeletons to outnumber your whole army by a factor of 4 or so and then when they all died, everybody routed.

I see two solutions:

1.) Make sure you always have a back door of some kind to retreat to. If you want, you can do this with remote summoning spells and/or a flying SC on the turn you're expecting attack on your castle. E.g. send your emperor and a handful of Wights on a flying carpet to the next-door province to take it over.

2.) Alternatively, try to stop the rout from occurring in the first place. Either you were unlucky, or you're using amazing amounts of chaff that die, or something. Win the battle quicker. This should be pretty easy if you use, oh, Wind of Death or Rigor Mortis or Darkness or Army of Gold + Flame Storm or Plague or that battlefield-wide Fear spell (Wind of something? D4A1). You've got all this research done, so you might as well use it. Another thing to try would be to use less chaff and stick to e.g. 100 Wight footsoldiers plus mages, which should easily beat 1200 AI chaff troops once you've got your battlefield enchantments up. (And if you're defending a fortress, gem logistics are a piece of cake because you're right on top of a lab, so you have no excuse for not using battlefield enchantments.)

It just seems to me that the current way you're playing, letting yourself get down to a single province and hoping your units won't route, is a lot riskier than it needs to be.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]