Thread: German ranks
View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: German ranks

Figured out what the SS kampfgruppe Nord is all about. That is in fact the 6 SS gebirgsjager division Nord. From what I've found they were a kampfgruppe for a short while before attaining full divisional status. The division was still being formed when the deployments in advance for Barbarossa were taking place in the eastern parts of the german reich and those of its allies (the 'kampfgruppe' went to Finland). That's were the reference to the kampfgruppe originates. However, it appears the formation did attain divisional status on the 17th of june 1941; so after the deployments began but before Barbarossa itself was launched. Which is why you usually don't see the Kampfgruppe appear on OB's for Barbarossa but the 6th SS division Nord does appear.
One mystery solved!

Edit:
Still a difference though, the kampfgruppe was formed from regiments 6, 7 and 9 (so not 5). And these appear to be regularly raised waffen-SS, so VT and not totenkopf units.

The 4th and 5th regiments formed the SS-Brigade 2 Reichsführer-SS and 8th and 10th regiments formed the SS-Brigade 1 Reichsführer-SS. For these to it would seem they were 'regular' waffen SS regiments, although it could well be that (some of) the men were recruited from Totenkopf units. I'll if I can find something on the origin of their recruits.