View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road
Default Battle 8

Battle 8 was yet another fiasco with the sole highlight being Anabuki-sans promotion and run through the enemy rear chewing up artillery. I inflicted 3-1 casualties but again my main force evaporated under the Chinese onslaught. I was particularly ticked off when one of my 89B's with an elite crew was nearly taken out by a Chi-com 89B! Mao's boys nmust have stole it right off the boat the paint was so fresh. The traitorous tank was taken out but my brave tankers were later immobilized and fell beneath the waves of infantry.

After this latest defeat, Chu-sa Gyuba was pulled back to battle school to help develop tactics to counter the Chinese wave attacks. He was given a platoon supported by an HMG and a mortar section. Using careful map recce, Gyuba set out a number of lines of resistance backed by terrain suitable to local withdrawals. The scout section was tasked with avoiding contact at all costs to act as a stay behind force. The plan was to allow the Chinese force to hit the static Japanese line, inflict casualties at short range then withdraw through cover to the next line. The mortar team was to provide pinning fire as required In execution this process worked remarkably well but required a lot of concentration to get it right. In several cases, the gunjin withdrew quickly enough to draw the Chinese into their own artillery. The Japanese line was pushed back as expected but the Chinese suffered from the many short fire fights. With the gunjin refusing to hold ground, the Chinese could not bring their massed rifles to bear. A couple of Chinese tanks were taken out by massed close assaults. The mortar section was deployed along the map center line and unfortunately was over run.

With the gunjin approaching the rear map edge, the recce section went into action tagging a couple of VHs behind the Chinese line. This proved more difficult than expected since the recce sectionwas out of contact and had to be rallied to get and keep it moving. The recce section too fell afoul of the Chinese superior numbers and was destroyed but still caused the Nationalist troops to pull back to address the threat in the rear. This sacrifice allowed the Japanese platoon to advance, destryoing the Chinese forces piecemeal and recapturing all the VHs for a decisive victory.

An effective set of tactics at least at the platoon levle this was a nerve wracking fight all the way through. I expect that Gyuba will spend some more time working out platoon tactics before returning to command his company in China.