View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,514 Times in 2,722 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Iraq errors report

Quote:
Marcello said:

The following units are armed with weapon 19, the RPG-7V.
269 408 413 434 435 461 462 477 488 518 519 520 703 740 762 770 770 774 777 779 787 988.
These should be rearmed with weapon 18, the RPG-7.

The RPG-7V is probably supposed to represent one of the high end RPG warheads. In reality however the iraqis had to make to do with the usual PG-7G/PG-7M and the likes, capable of roughly 330mm of penetration.
Some higher end weapons have been used by the insurgents but in very small quantities only and definitively were not in widespread service in the old iraqi army (or the new one for that matter).
Weapon 156 should be enough to represent those few modern RPGs.
You can read the naval explosive ordnance disposal division reports here:
https://naveodtechdiv.jeodnet.mil/IraqOIG/iraqoig.asp
The RPG warheads are under the "rocket" list. It is a very comprehensive list of the ordnance found in Iraq.
This is all useful but as you note some of the higher end units have made it to the insurgents albeit small quantities and If I removed every weapon in every OOB that was only supplied "in small quantities" there would be some howling from the " if they had it it should be in the OOB" crowd. Therefore unit 740, which isn't an army unit, doesn't qualify. Nor does 787 really but a case could be made for having them in and out

Now, this just lists the 7V's. OK, I can accept that the Iraqi army did not use the 7V. Do I assume that since you didn't mention the RPG-16 and PRG-18 also in the OOB that these were available ?? or not ?? They are a "very small quantity" item in the OOB used by only a half handful of units

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle..