View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:27 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3000 - MP game

Wow, I'm impressed, that must have taken hours

Order and production are both very good for ulm, and keep in mind that there's a lot less land to build on in this map than normal maps, so you can't make up for lack of resources by fort building. There are also several very resource-expensive units ulm can build from all forts that it can't get otherwise (capital ships and tanks). I haven't really experimented a whole lot with pretenders... what I've done in sp is mostly race towards Enchant 7 for earth blood deep well (bonus is you get arrow fend doing this, and thunder/fire ward which is great against jomon), then research construction up to 8, then win. That would probably not work as well in multiplayer because you probably will not be left alone long enough to research that far. Construction is useful early on for making spaceships, and evocation gets you magma eruption. Alteration is good for buffs, mostly for thugs but there aren't really lots of "good" thug chassis in dom3k, also wind guide is very useful for ulm. The personal artillery marines with wind guide could be quite devastating.

Things to bear in mind:

You have mages with natural picks that can reach n1, E4, F2, S3, and A2, and you'll get EFS crosspath mages, as well as SA crosspath. Your starting income covers earth, astral and fire. It's hard to get all of those paths up to max so it may be beneficial to cover some of that on your god if you go rainbow. You probably also want to take a magic dominions since magic is very important to ulm.

Prot is about half as good as it is normally, since AP damage is everywhere.

Misfortune can be a bit nasty with dom3k, it takes a lot of pd to beat independant attacks.

Anyway, to answer your question more directly, yes that sort of pretender will work for ulm. If you have to go negative, probably your best bets are the temperature and death scale, but ideally you don't want to dip too far because d3k also has low gold income I think because space provinces are small, and you will want lots of mages.