View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:57 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting AAA to fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Ok, the bofors were not moving at all, had never fired from game start, and had been deployed for turns. So since most a/c chance to hit are around 2-5% I am best to assume that my AAA will never fire? I know in one game the only time my a/c got shot at was when they actually flew through a box of guns, but other then that nothing.

As for LOS; if my AAA is in the field, and there is a row of trees at the end of the field and the a/c come in in the hex row behind the trees is the game playing that the a/c are behind and below the trees? I fear this is what is happening, and if so that means his attacking a/c are flying at about 30 feet.
I usually set my stationary flak up on hills, and dot them about in sections or platoons of 2-3 to form an interlocking (or near enough) matrix over the rear zone. That way, most planes that attack into the rear will fly near enough to a cell of guns (20 hexes or less) to get shot at. Individual guns about 4-6 hexes apart from platoon CO in case arty gets directed at them.

I dont set them up in a "grand battery" very often as the planes would need to be guaranteed to come to that spot of the map. Unless playing MBT of course where the guns will have much better FC and RF values than WW2, AA radar even and so will pop off at air targets way aways - even right across the map at helos. Post-war 57mm Soviet radar directed AAA is rather nice to have, and can cause a helo using enemy fits .

I try to set them up in a "U" shaped box around my gun/moratar lines since the AI tends to get interested in attacking those.

SP-AA and any towed guns that I move forwards I deploy in a similar manner in the forward zone.

Inf-AAMG are useful to plod along behind the infantry coy HQs for local protection (and occasional ground target biffing up).

Trees, hills and built up zones will screen low flying planes from flak sitting on the flat. Putting them up on a little pimple with a good all round FOV usually cures that.

Cheers
Andy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: