View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CPCS - v0.3 is out!

Quote:
It's just that I'm not trying to change the actual game, just add more options in combat magic usage and give low-path mages more useful spells. Powerful spells "warp" the gameplay to revolve around themselves. The "auto-feeble" spell you suggested would have a single-handedly made the U/W mages most powerful mages ever. I admit that I'm doing some balance changes with this mod, notice how most buffing spells won't work on undead? Inanimates? Mindless? In there lies numereous popular SC chassises, unable to reap the benefits of this mod, perhaps allowing some new contenders in.
I think you discard the dynamic nature of strategy in your assessment of the spell, but that's fine.

Quote:
So umm.. I need a point. Yeah, I'm not going for a huge change, but for a small one. This mod won't make any excisting stragedy obsolete, but try to raise others on par with them. For example, I'm afraid that "Traveller's Curse" would be too strong against SC's, nulling that stragedy option and thus making the game that less stragedically richer.
My observation to you is that strategies become obsolete for any number of reasons, and obsoleting a strategy based on technology (such as this mod) is just as valid as obsoleting a strategy based on tactics or operational methods. Actually, in this instance, it is _more_ valid because it is consensual.

I could easily argue that the current end-game of Dominions being focused on SCs and large-scale battle magic makes many strategies non-competitive. If you can enable five strategies by disabling one... what do you choose, if your goal is to increase strategic variety?