View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:03 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Glory SP map province name gaffes

Some have. Im not sure which ones.

Ive taken a stab at it a number of times. Had the map generator set names, then generated a list to show me the dupes. Thats whats irritated me the most. Especially on the max sized maps having so many provinces with the same name.

Way back in Dom1 I even created some programs to generate random names specific to the terrain types, and one just to generate randomly created (but pronouncable) words that could be used as names. It was fairly simple. It used a thesaurus list for the terrain and matched it with a random word from another list. Like for forest program choosing one off this list:
data "Dark", "Greening", "Darkening", "Forbidden", "Gracious"
data "Elven", "Elder", "Mythical", "Growth", "Feeding", "Blue"
data "Carpenters", "Neutral", "Deep", "Nesting", "Golden"
data "Pixie", "Ogre", "Land of", "Nether", "Null", "Wide"
data "Twisted", "Wild", "Dreaming", "Lost", "Dew", "Redding"

and linking it with one from this list:
data "Forest", "Woods", "Copse", "Grove", "Woodlands", "Timber"
data "Timberland", "Woodlot", "Wildwood", "Thicket", "Growth"
data "Trees", "Canopy", "Maze", "Woodland", "Wood", "Forestry"
data "Wilderness", "Willows", "Oaks", "Saplings", "Orchard"

To generate a list like this...
http://www.dom3minions.com/~dominion...orestNames.txt

I used to generate a new list every day for each terrain but its been a long time since any interest was shown. Feel fre to use any of that. If you want something else feel free to ask.

Also I believe my concept was worked into one of Ballbarians SemiRandom programs which do a great job of further-working a map including a ton of features into one program besides naming. Spotting new terrains such as lakes, volcanoes, islands, valleys, caves. Setting reasonable start and nostart positions. Scattering logically created special provinces. Setting more intelligent AI scales and gods. Accessing some of the map generation features that are difficult to access especially for windows users.

Gandalf Parker
--
Running Dominions support sites since the beginning.