Thread: Fog of war
View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2009, 03:25 AM

BANNED USER

c_of_red is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fog of war

If the game allows it, I don't consider it cheating. War has no rules, Liberals Lawyers think it does but history keeps proving them wrong.
So if you can invent something within the game system that gives you an advantage, tell me and Ill do it too. At least until the Cammo guys get wind of it and code it out. What I miss the most was the Rnging MG trick. Back in the day, you could use the co-ax MG as a range finder. Shoot the target with the 'w' key and most of the time the target wouldn't op fire back. Then you could fire the main gun with a consecutive shot bonus. It was a big help when playing the Soviets as well as being historically accurate. IIRC, it was coded out about the time Cammo and Matrix split up. The otherthing I liked was the 'bump and run'. If you could get an enemy vehile to retreat, you could run along side it ( same hex) and use it for cover to get a recon vehicle behind enemy lines. As long as the retreating ubnit was bigger then your scout, if your opponent shot at you, he would hit the bigger vehicle.Friendly fire isn't. But it is real fun to watch your opponent kill his tank trying to hit your jeep.

Going outside the system by replaying turns, changing your units to have 100+ experience, using two machines, hacking the password, using an active de-bugging tool, etc. are all cheating.
At least that is my opinion.

Here is a freeby.
When setting up, it is possible to get infantry units set up ACROSS the setup line. You place your zero unit ( platoon leader) next to the LOD (line of departure or start line) and hit the 'a' ( all) key. The program will deploy that platoons units within 5 hexes of the platoon leader. It ignores the LOD, so some of the units will wind up across the LOD. What is neet is that you can keep doing it until you get a placement you like or the zero (platoon leader) is placed on the other side of the LOD.
Can't do it with vehicles for some reason, and it isn't much of an advantage, since the most you will get is a 4 or 5 hex start on your opponent, but every bit helps. It is almost like getting an extra movement turn for some of your slower units.