Thread: Fog of war
View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:54 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fog of war

Quote:
Here is a freeby.
When setting up, it is possible to get infantry units set up ACROSS the setup line. You place your zero unit ( platoon leader) next to the LOD (line of departure or start line) and hit the 'a' ( all) key. The program will deploy that platoons units within 5 hexes of the platoon leader. It ignores the LOD, so some of the units will wind up across the LOD. What is neet is that you can keep doing it until you get a placement you like or the zero (platoon leader) is placed on the other side of the LOD.
Can't do it with vehicles for some reason, and it isn't much of an advantage, since the most you will get is a 4 or 5 hex start on your opponent, but every bit helps. It is almost like getting an extra movement turn for some of your slower units.
Good grief
Set up is the longest game turn at least for me, survey the map look at what the enemy might do form a plan & deploy accordingly. Mucking about to gain an advantage like that would be incredibly boring. Rather than trying to exploit the game which seems the way this thread is going now why not exploit the unit strengths & weaknesses of both sides. A victory is nice but its a hollow one if you did not achieve it on your own merit, the feel good factor of the game is doing something right & out foxing your opponent. What makes you feel good is things like your platoon taking on a Company from Ambush & getting 3:1 kill ratio despite the odds. Achieving questionable advantages through time consuming ploys just take away from the playability of the game though I must admit I do micro manage the range on my AA assets. Its time consuming so distracts from the game but with the low hit chances can sucker him in so you get multiple shots with climbing accuracy