View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,510 Times in 2,719 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: M10, Wolverine, Achilles Self-Propelled Guns

With you three going at it , it's like having Chucky back with the echo on.

Point 1--- where I to actually subscribe to the idea that all names of all units in the game should adhere to whatever it was referred to in the "official" field manuals I would, quite often, bump into the hard as bedrock unit name limit on more than a few occasions which would necessitate I deviate from the "official" to make it fit, once I do that a few times any pretext at keeping the game "pure" in this way goes right out the window

Point 2--- One problem we have had in this game was multiple OOB designers using varying naming conventions. We have database checking utilities to help us find things but when one unit or vehicle is named one way in one OOB, another way in a different OOB and yet a third way in a third OOB it makes finding them a PITA . In this case there are variations on M10 17 pdr and "Achilles" and that's just in the commonwealth nations. In the Italian OOB is "Semovente M10" ( there's that "National flavour" some people like and some don't ) and in the US OOB it's M10 (early) and M10 (late). I doubt very much that was the "official" way it was known in the US army at the time but for GAME purposes it helps players spot which was which ( not everyone's a historian ) This has been a problem in SPMBT where occasionally we've had to update some bit of info on some bit of Russian Kit ( for example....) then found someones decided in a couple of OOB's to use the "local" name for it or name it Txx in some and T-xx in others and that's how we end up with the same vehicle with two different stats. We've being struggling to correct all this since the Windows version were released

Point 3-- I will take all of this into consideration and there will be changes made to the next patch and I can promise you that someone is going to be unhappy no matter what I do but from my POV I need all these units with SOMETHING in common in their name so if I need to find all of my "M10's" I don't have to recall all the different nicknames they picked up in the intervening 60 odd years

Don