View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:30 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
But Sombre was forthright that he wouldn't comply with Shrapnel's request so I'm not sure there's much point in postponing things.
Under the current rules I'm not entirely sure that a permaban would have happened eventually. The infractions are designed to go away after a while. Sombre just said he didn't care, he thought the whole system was a joke, and part of a powertrip by the mods. (As he explained on IRC). That he was banned only proves his point.

Quote:
The idea that he should be allowed to ignore the forum rules is in my opinion obviously a bad idea. Either you make an exception for him or you drop the rules completely for everyone.
True. Why then the exception for Sombre? No tempbans, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.

Quote:
Look, I understand that people are defending Sombre both because they're friends with him and because they value his contributions to the community and feel they outweigh any negatives.
You are forgetting one reason. Defending him because he is right. He should not have been banned and it was part of a powertrip. (Not saying that I agree with this, but it is a valid reason).