Thread: Globals
View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

Peter Ebbesen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Globals

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalTurnip View Post
I was wondering about penetration because my person that casted a global had a rune smasher already equipped for mind hunting, and I just started wondering.
There's nothing in the manual about spell penetration helping when a global tries to defeat another global and, as far as I know, nobody has performed the sort of mind-numbingly boring systematical test to determine it for certain.

However, if we think of the purpose of spell penetration that we do know, which is beating magical resistance, this has nothing whatsoever to do with "whose magic is the most powerful". It is about finding a hole in somebody's magical defenses (including innate resistance to alteration by magic) and attacking through it, not about overpowering their magical defenses with more powerful magic.

As such, I'd say that the safest bet lacking compelling evidence to the contrary is that spell penetration doesn't affect dispelling or the global vs. global clash at all but that it works exactly as described in the manual: DRN + 5 per extra path + 1 per extra gem on each side, highest wins. [I've forgotten who wins ties]