Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
.com.unity Forums - View Single Post - Defending Rushes, a primer on avoiding the awake SC pretender
View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:05 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Defending Rushes, a primer on avoiding the awake SC pretender

I think examining the thought process is more valuable than actual game evidence, assuming you know what will work. But demonstrating something that works is also valuable. So two examples, the first takes us through the process, the second is a bit hazier, but it involves a really early rush I actually defended with markata and mage backup.

Example 1:
Mooseknight. I'm playing Marveni in a game that includes Mictlan, Niefl, Fomoria, and Sauromatia. I know I'm going to have two neighbors based on the map layout, and that first contact will probably happens somewhere in the turn 4-6 range. You may have noticed from my mentioning them that those are the nations I'm most worried about being next to.

Pretender:
In accordance with the OP, I've taken a pretender for my long game. A sleeping FoB A2D4B4 with dom 8 and great scales. This gets me access to most of the magic I didn't have, some blood slave income, good dominion for blood sacrifice, and the cash to crank out those druids that I'm going to live or die by. (I also thought he could cloud trapeze - incorrectly - so S2 might have been better in retrospect)

So, what do we know about those nations? Likely threat analysis:
Niefl - sacred giants/niefl jarls, skinshifters, likely E9N4+ bless if a bless. (Skinshifters aren't sacred)
Fomoria - sacred giants, likely E9N4+ bless
Mictlan - Jags. Likely 3x9 bless or close to it, probably including F9W9
Sauromatia - bugged poisoned arrow archers.

Ok, the best counter to E9 is to make the armor go away, because then the defense bonus goes away. (And they typically have fairly decent armor to begin with.) Also a way to increase damage output is a good call.

Recommended spell options:
Anti-armor: Rusting Mist (Evo 2), Armor of Achilles (Alt 2), Destruction (Alt 4)
Damage Output Enhancement: Strength of Giants (Ench 3), Earth Might (Alt 2), Earth Meld (for more hits, Alt 2)

Mictlan is a bit more of a tough pickle. Those jags have multiple attacks and will act twice/trn every other turn. The best solution is to kill them fast and take ample troops.
Immobilization: Earth Meld (Alt 2)
Damage: Blade Wind (Evo 4), Earth Might (Alt 2)

Sauromatia's archers can be archer decoyed, but the poison will get past shields, so i either need a poison counter or just accept i need enough archer decoys for them to die in droves. They're pretty weak to return fire, and I can buy slingers at almost 2:1. Also, Bladewind.
Early: Sacrifice troops to arrows
less early: N1 mages with a big shield (black steel, perhaps) casting Poison Resistance (Alt 1)

Ok, Alteration has most of my key early spells, so we'll grab Alt 2 first, maybe push to Alt 4 if I see a threat (I should know by then), or Evo 4 if that seems more useful.

Actual gameplay:
Niefl is one of my neighbors, I immediately talk with him about the situation. He's got TC on his other side. I convince him TC is far more threatening to let live and he goes to war with TC instead. (Diplomacy works!)

Later, Kailasa (my other neighbor) sends an envoy asking for help against incursions by Mictlan. Evo 4 was on my to do list, so I proceed to clean Mictlan's clock with Bladewinding Druids.

Game is ongoing. I am very much alive, and Mictlan's capital has been mine for half the game. Niefl and I have still not fought a war.

-----
Random Team Blitz, My BL vs. someone's Jotunheim. (There were two other players in the game - one allied with each of us - but we got stuck in our own pocket war). Our capitals were 3 provinces away from each other.

I can't remember my pretender, but I do remember the first Rishi I pulled was E2. You'll recall all that juicy Alt 2 earth magic? Yep, rush ordered that. His blessed woodsmen bounced off my *markata*. It was a painful and drawn out back-and-forth battle at the border, but as I recall I was slowly getting the upper hand. (Outresearching him badly while we more-or-less stalemated militarily). Earth meld made the woodsmen easy pickings, and earth might let my markata do some serious damage.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Squirrelloid For This Useful Post: