View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:16 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MA Ulm Pretender, because I'm crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalz View Post
Vanilla has a large number of components which are significantly not cost effective compared to others so are never used by competitive players.
As does CBM, though they are different ones, to be sure.
Specifically for Ulm, though, CBM raises forge bonus of a Forge Lord to be 50%, so here you may want to try it. On the other hand, current CBM version effectively bans gem producing items, including the Earth one. And this is very important for Ulm in MP, especially as it is also one of the few Earth boosters... well, so it goes.
Also, I sometimes tried Luck/Turmoil for Ulm (of course, it may be counter to your vision of it). It's better not to go all-out for Turmoil, though. Luck gets you a number of various gems, which can be useful, though less so than in conjunction with Magic.
As for Dragon, it is definitely better with 9-10 Dominion, though this is not crucial - I once had quite a good position with a Dragon with Dom 5-7 iirc. However, such a build is usually aimed at getting a single high bless in a nation with relatively good sacreds, but not so good as to base an entire strategies on them. Dragon helps with expansion and switches to raiding and artillery support by midgame. This isn't so useful for MA Ulm. Though I wouldn't say it won't work. But Dominion shouldn't be as low as 4 - if nothing else, it will require you to make lots of priests and preach a lot and it's not as if you have lots of hold just lying around or your priests have nothing better to do. Plus, remember that if province doesn't have your Dominion, it gets no bonus from your scales...