View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:55 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DienBienPhu- How difficult to convert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurachn View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Suhiir.
I have that, but it doesn't seem to me to be a very close representation of the battle. Besides its pretty large scale and the 800x600 is a bit limiting.
It would be amazing to get a birds eye view of the different firebases at 1680x1050!

The campaign I found for SP3 seems to be a lot more meticulously researched, from what I can tell from the accompanying txt.
Too bad it seems to be unusable in MBT!
Since the "battle" was in actual fact a siege over several months then it really does not fit any sort of single-battle scenario. A campaign would therefore be best (With no or little repair/reinforcement). The campaign could then showcase a few key "active" assault scenarios perhaps.

There is quite simply no sane way to write any form of conversion utility for SP3 to SP1.
- Each hex is 250 metres, not 50. i.e. about 5x5 WinSPMBT hexes per SP3 hex.
- The contour system is totally different (SP3 had just 3 hill levels, we have 15).
- Each unit is potentially a platoon (2-5 elements). So formation structure does not quite marry up.
- SP3 turn time is also about 5 or ten minutes? - so ~ 5 or 10 times the turn allowance.

So all you can do is take notes and then manually create a map making each SP3 map hex a 5x5 WinSPMBT matrix (and fleshing out the individual detail thereof) and then manually recreate the SP3 command structure etc.

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: