View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Counter-Battery Process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOT View Post
That is what the Allies(U.S.) did during the Gulf War(1990). Once they had air superiority they went hunting for Iraqi Arty and CB'd with MLRS & Air strikes. The Allies were afraid of the Iraqi arty because they had base bleed ammunition and smooth bore arty with longer range capability. One of the reason's Gerald Bull was assassinated in 1990 for his work on an Iraqi Supergun.
Actually from what I know of Gulf I (I was working at the 2nd MarDiv HQ at the time) due to the USAF overall control of air assets it generally took longer to get an airstrike authorized then the window of opportunity for a strike (at least once the Iraqis learned to relocate their artillery 3 or 4 times a day) Air generally hunted targets of opportunity in their assigned "kill box". They did occasionally happen to spot artillery and bomb it. Close air support in the USMC sense was not permitted by USAF doctrine.

For the most part the MLRS (at least the ones assigned to 2nd MarDiv) worked hand-in-hand with the counter-battery radar to get targeting information. Frequently the radar fed the info to the MLRS and it fired a counter-battery barrage while the first Iraqi salvo was still in the air. I spoke to a survivor of one Iraqi 152mm battery and he said they'd keep a running vehicle nearby and yank the lanyard to fire a shell and run to the vehicle then drive like hell to get out of the impact area of the MLRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
Aren't you glad there's not too many "bubbleheads" around we can tend to be so...rambunctious well annoying (Or worse would be better.) at times.
I think Andy & Don may prefer bubbleheads to jarheads at times

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by Suhiir; December 4th, 2011 at 01:43 PM..