View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:29 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,221 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI and Barge Carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
I've rarely seen the AI do a decent river crossing.
It may buy barge-carriers, but rarely uses them even remotely efectively.

When I play vs the AI I don't let it do river crossings.
Never seen it buy a horde of helo's like it did for Imp - now THAT would be interesting.
The AI doing a river crossing is usually akin to shooting fish in a barrel, even in WW2. Add TI sights post 1980 and its a slaughterhouse. Same goes for the good old barges to the beach amphibious assault.

However, if IT has the TI and you do not then it can give you a slap, as I found out a few years back playing as USSR v USA post 1980...

I added the helo cloud as an option for the MBT pick when we went to Windows, many moons ago. It can give the AI a little bit of a chance in the river crossing if the human is unprepared, or it is poor visibility pre-TI and AAA radars. Especially if they have done the usual eager-beaver defence all along the riverbank with nothing in the back row bar the Powerpoint Rangers !.

But since people probably don't let the AI do a river crossing against them much then it is a rare thing to happen. (It is a very rare assault type in the long campaigns and I think it's now pretty much human-only anyway).

You can always set up a few battles in the generator and see what the AI buys - it will be under 1 in 20 most likely that you get more than maybe a lift platoon.

Andy