View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:14 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what is the next step for winspww2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spledge View Post
I see values in being able to play head-to-head and PBEM through a connection to a server. I also see value in having a choice to utilize a per turn and/or per game timer.
In chess, the average move takes a couple of minutes (although some turns may take a lot longer), and most games are over within 2 hours, so chess is well suited for head-to-head play.

A Steel Panthers turn, just for one side, usually takes about 30 minutes or more to play. If a game lasts 24 turns that's 24 hours of play. Because of this Steel Panthers is not well suited to 'head to head'.

If you want to play a fast human vs human game of Steel Panthers, I recommend:

- Small forces sizes
Perhaps only a reinforced company each.

- An opponent who says they can play at least one turn a day

- An opponent who is not playing other PBEM games
Obviously a player who's playing multiple games will not get back to you as quickly.

- An opponent in your time zone
I've found they are more likely to have similar free time. You may be able to send a couple of turns back and forth in an evening; but if they're in Europe and you're in North America you'll send a turn in the evening and they're already asleep and won't get back to you until the next day.

- Use email that notifys you that mail has been received.
I had my mail set up so a carrier pidgeon coos when I get mail. So if I'm somewhere in the house I know when I get mail.

I think the shortest PBEM game I've played has still taken around 10 days to complete. With the average being around 3 or 4weeks.

Cross