View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:31 AM

Corporal

TDR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: #15 Australinan OOB Queries - more

Some passing observations.

Artillery:
Since the 1990's Australia and New Zealand have had the 105mm L119A Hamels. I can't as yet pin the start date down, working on that.

This replaced the 105 mm M2A2 in the Australian Army.
The 105mm L5 Pack How was already out of service.
At present I can't find the dates for the out of service for the M2A2 guns.

Also Australia has had the 155mm M198s. These started in service 1983, not sure of the month.

The Australian Army has taken on charge the 155 mm M777 as of mid/late 2010.

These will replace all the L119s and the M198s. All RAA Regts will only have the M777 as the operational gun.

Army Reserve RAA units may have the old L119As but somewhere I read they will fall back on to the 4.5 Mors as their main equipment.

Formations and weapons
In the OOB there are 2 formations:
#206 Rifle Co VN (+)
#207 Rifle Coy (VN)

I presume these represent the Vietnam War period.
If so:
These 2 formations have the formation: #208 Spt Pl (VN)
This formation unfortunately also picks up the 84mm L14A1; Weapon: #29 L14A1 SRAAW
This was not available in theatre due to restrictions on ammunition, (there wasn’t any), so hence not available in that time slot.

The L14A1s were not replaced by a bunch of M72's either. Some units had a US weapon that look like a rocket launcher, just cant remember what it was called. Just got to find the information again.

Weapon queries:
#13 L4 7.62mm LMG
Is this considered Australian service or New Zealand service?

It was not an Australian used weapon. Australia went for the L2A1 Automatic Rifle, (heavy barrel SLR), but this weapon was dropped as useless and moved almost straight to the M60 GPMG.

The Weapon list has the Owen SMG but not the F1 SMG. This is really a small point as in game terms the weapons are almost identical. Though from a personal perspective the Owen was better.