Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2016, 04:19 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,239 Times in 927 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

About the ASU-85 for Vietnam JANE's had a "little" clearer picture and analysis.
http://www.janes.com/article/59688/d...et-era-asu-85s

Well history has it's place here on sites where that makes a difference. It was thought these tanks showed up after the 1979 war with China. Well the flaw in in looking for the deal between Russia and Vietnam would be technically unfeasible. Russia wasn't 'Russia' in 1979 but...come on now...the Soviet Union. It would turn out Vietnam got the ASU-85 in 1960. Remember this site relies heavily on UN mandatory arms transfers reports by member nations. This from SIPRI...

Recipient/ Year Year(s) No.
supplier (S) No. Weapon Weapon of order/ of delivered/
or licenser (L) ordered designation description licence deliveries produced Comments

Viet Nam
S: Soviet Union (300) T-34/85 Tank (1954) 1955-1960 (300) Second-hand
(50) SU-85 Self-propelled gun (1960) 1960-1961 (50) Probably Second-hand

Sorry system wouldn't transfer word saved rft. file onto here.

I was going to post more but it's family dinner day. I'll post a tank issue later tonight that touches on the topic of what us "equipment" folks out here like to consider when submitting our submissions to Don.

Gotta Go!!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..