View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2019, 06:37 AM

Corporal

PantherCub is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tanks firing machine guns at other tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves308 View Post
It's also useful to assist with the primitive range finders and fire control systems to improve the hit percentage. I will fire the first shot or two with just the machine gun (to save main gun ammo), and when I do finally use the main gun, I can often get a hit the first time I use it. I once did some testing with firing the main gun and machine guns, and just firing the main gun, to see if the machine guns firing helped with getting a better hit percentage as opposed to just using the main gun, but I was never really sure if they helped or not.

Steve
I cannot tell from your comment if this refers to reality or the game?

There are/have been some guns that used dedicated coaxial rifle calibre weapons for ranging, but that presupposes that the ranging gun has more or less the same ballistics as the main gun. And for tank guns firing high velocity AT rounds this is not the case. So any ranging shots with a regular MG will just be wasted and possibly alert the enemy.

Besides, what I was referring to was the routine in game firing of MGs by tanks on tanks AFTER the main gun has been fired.