Thread: Snipers
View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2020, 04:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,494 Times in 2,714 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Snipers

I was hoping someone else would point out the folly of your suggestion but I guess it has to be me

First off what part of " We are not making any major changes to the OOB's" that I posted LAST YEAR did you not understand or did you miss it?

I will keep this as short as possible. I do not care to engage you in a debate about this but I want to ensure someone else reading you ideas don't think they have merit

Yes there are "duplicate" guns in the German OOB depending on if they were the tank mounted version or the AT gun mounted version. This was changed many, many years ago when there was only one version of those guns another earnest nitpicker pointed out that the naming we had for the tank gun version or the AT gun version was incorrect as the Germans used different designation for each type and at the time I decided to allow this added "accuracy" to the game so instead of having one 5cm L60 and having to listen to endless arguments as to why that was wrong I went with "accuracy" and therefore there are 5cm PaK 38 L60 and 5cm KwK 38 L60 and everyone was happy with that...

...then you came along.

You obviously have extensive research material on hand but your practical knowledge of how the game actually works is woefully lacking and what's frustrating is simply asking what impact amalgamating weapons and removing some to open up weapon slots would have you post these War and Peace sized missives that I usually give up on half way through precisely because your practical knowledge of how the game works is near non existent......

What you fail to understand or perhaps you simply do not care is that removing an existing weapon from the game WILL BUGGER UP EVERY SCENARIO THAT USES THEM.

When a scenario is created the weapon info is not saved with the scenario DAT file, it draws it's data directly from the OOB and if you remove that weapon or change it to something completely different then the scenario or any save game will either now have no data or the wrong data. The advantage of this system is that if corrections are made to the weapon it will be applied to any existing scenario so, for example, if we found new info that suggested we were being too generous with the AP penetration ( or the opposite ) any refinement to the weapon info would be passed on to legacy scenarios. This system also prevents scenario designers from altering weapons data in a scenario so the game standard is what is applied equally.

The suggestion to amalgamate the Pak and KwK versions into one ESPECIALLY in the German OOB would be a nightmare to correct probably a few hundred scenarios and for what? To free up some weapon slots for no purpose? Because that is exactly what it would amount to as I have already stated in this post and in others we are NOT going to be making any further major changes to the OOB's and this one goes WAY beyond "major".......we don't NEED to free up further weapon slots in the German OOB because there are no more worthwhile weapons to add....... now go back and read that part about us "not making any further major changes to the OOB's" and the bit about the nightmare ripping out weapons would cause to existing scenarios.

Please go away and find other game designers to "enlighten". I am asking you nicely to not post any more "bright ideas" like this one. If you do post something like this again it will be the last post you make on these forums. I have spent way more time explaining this than I had intended to and this is the last time I will.

......and we have been through this whole " snipers " issue a long time ago. Just because the official T0&E of of a nation did not officially include "snipers" does not mean individuals didn't act in that capacity and if you disagree.....don't use them

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: