View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2023, 06:26 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cost Armata vs Leopard 2 a7v

ATGM tend to be expensive items. Especially modern ones with added "special sauce" features like multiple charge warheads or top attack.

Me, if an OOB has a choice between an MBT with and without those cannon-launched ATGM then I usually plonk for the ones with (say) 6 more cannon rounds as they are far cheaper. Even taking the Close sSupport version if there is a C/S tank variant.

I prefer to have ATGM on a separate platform doing overwatch in a support vehicle type manner. If I have to use the cannon launched ATGM variants of MBT then I usually switch that weapon line off so I can manually fire the things at what I determine is a valid target - not letting them pop them off in random opfire on some little tin can that wanders into LOS.

So, personally not a fan of MBT - or even light tanks - like say the M60A2 "Starship" and the M551 Sheridan in the 70s with ATGM as a primary or secondary AT round. If I could have those 2 with all HEAT ammo (and HE too - bigger bangs are better bangs!!) then I would be a happy bunny
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: