View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2023, 03:28 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,498 Times in 2,715 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: SP, MLRS and SPAA Developments

I've added MLRS to the thread title

There are "issues" am hoping to resolve

MLRS in the game now pretty much behaves like WW2 rocket arty. It's an area weapon but it has evolved and the game is stuck in the past. I'm not saying it's way out of line for a lot of unguided MLRS systems but it is for something like HIMARs

I have read various articles about Himars accuracy and the game cannot come close with it as O/M rocket artillery unit class as the accuracy of the GPS rounds is commonly stated to be in the 1-3 meter range from the intended POI and that is the LR Himars and the long-range Missile has a 300 KM range.

In game terms, it should be able to hit a target that is stationary in a single hex........one missile, one target, one hit. It should NOT be doing what it does in the game now which is spread the POI over half a Km or more

But also Himars is not a weapon designed to be used on front-line targets although in a pinch it could. These are deep-strike weapons intended for targets far behind the lines. The ones Ukraine has "only" have an 80km range and what makes them effective is it is hard to hit back at a Himars once it has fired because it can move almost immediately

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-62512681

Quote:
"Himars is very accurate when it is used against fixed targets when you have the exact co-ordinates,"

"But it is not so effective against moving targets such as troops, so it cannot push back an advance."
....and that is the focus of the game so it's possible that these would be best used in the game for counter-battery or with ROF drastically reduced from what it is now and used like NLOS weapons but still..... these things shine when taking out critical targets far outside the area of the front line covered by even the largest map

.......so.....open to comments..

I have built test units that operate as NLOS but the problem with NLOS targeting is it needs a target and you have to pick what is given, you cannot target a bridge and you can target things HIMARS was not intended to target like an individual tank ( it does a SPECTACULAR job doing that though..... but that isn't what it is supposed to be used for..........they also shine as counter battery........ mostly "BATTERY DESTROYED" messages when they do CB but at 100 grand a pop there are cheaper ways )

Quote:
( they are used on....... )targets such as command posts and ammunition depots.........(and) has also been used to target bridges

Further....... I just "discovered" that HIMARS system has eleven different missiles it can fire so I need to dig into what the capability is for each

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle..

Last edited by DRG; November 23rd, 2023 at 06:24 PM..