View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WinSPWW2 v5.0 GUI mod

We have been investigating the issue of the modified version of MBTOPEN.shp crashing the "CD" version of the game.

Testing is still ongoing but I have confirmed that a problem does indeed exist but it is only indirectly related to differences in the CD and DL version.

My new computer runs Win8 so all tests were done using that OS and what I discovered is the problem .......... very strange and elusive that it is............ is a "CD" issue ONLY if you use resolution greater than the DL version limit. On my machine that SHP file runs OK in both the CD or DL versions **IF** I stick to 640x480 and 800x600 screen resolutions. If I go beyond 800x600 the game craps out. We are still trying to determine why this is happening but they will run, in the CD version, in my machine as long as I stick to the two lowest screen resolutions.

I learned in 1998 that SHP files can sometimes be very bad voodoo but I have not had a file crash the game since the first year I started working with them so I am determined to find the reason this is happening but so far the answer remains elusive.

Also, unrelated to the SHP file issue but an ongoing issue for some players, when I first loaded the games into the win8 machine they would not run fullscreen at all. I have already stated on these forums how I feel about fullscreen mode but once I had settled in with the new machine I started poking around with compatibility settings and with my machines graphics card ( Intel HD graphics ) if I set either game to windows XP service pack 3 compatibilty on the desktop shortcut both games run fullscreen mode perfectly........... better than my old XP box ran them ( the colour is more true to windows mode than it was with the XP box )

Don

Last edited by DRG; October 4th, 2013 at 09:02 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: