View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:38 AM

Sergeant

spillblood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SG View Post
Does anyone know for sure that the fortifications actually give your land units any defense advantage. I played a hot seat game with myself to do a controled test and based on all damage points inflicted on the defender units there was no defense increase advantage to the defender? I even tryed a +10 value and still no difference. see below:

Number Of Special Abilities := 1
Special Ability 1 Type := Combat Defense Modifier
Special Ability 1 Description := Increases the defense rating of all Land Units by +10.
Special Ability 1 Amount := 10
Yeah, it's obvious that this lack of detailed information in the manual and the readme-files poses a serious problem for modders. I've requested a modding guide via customer support around half a year ago, but Shrapnel's customer service replied that it's the community's job to devise such a document. It's unlikely Malfador, the developers, will provide more detailed information here in this forum, so this can only be done by experimenting with the game itself, because they won't release the source code as long as they're still selling this game, I guess.
BTW, I think fortifications in the present form are relatively useless, especially against large numbers of enemy units, if you don't have a sizable force yourself.
One suggestion I made last year was to give the fortification bunkers an attack capability, because each fight with a defense bunker involved usually ends with you having to move your units up to the bunker and blasting away at the defenseless building, which is particularly annoying when you don't have strong units left (always lengthens the battles needlessly). Fights should either end when there's only the fortification left or they should be given an attack capability like those AA Missile turrets (that are actually also useful against ground units!). A realistic way would be to give bunkers ground attack capability and AA-turrets only air attack capability.

BTW, it would be extremely nice if you could try contacting Malfador directly via ws@malfador.com. Also check out their website: http://www.malfador.com/ (it also contains this mail adress, you could also use info@malfador.com, I think.
This way they see that there are some new people willing to mod/improve the game who need some help. Maybe Aaron Hall, head of Malfador, can give you some more details on the game's rules himself, and it's better when I don't contact him again because I guess he either won't reply to more mails by me, because I've sent large amounts of bug reports, savegames and descriptions of errors, and they largely didn't see through them because at some point (I guess July or August) I was the only person doing this. It's better when new people try this out.

Last edited by spillblood; January 30th, 2012 at 08:56 AM..