View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2017, 03:37 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Problems with the current Russian OOB (#11).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crueldwarf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Detail freaks like details.......

Someone opens a book and sees that the standard BMG or Tank 'T' is XYZ and We used ABC they want it changed for "accuracy"..... the real problem is we didn't foresee running out of weapon slots when we expanded the unit and formations lists..... If we had done that at the beginning this would not be an issue but we never dreamed it would be and it is too late now.

The weathers been really nice here too for February but winter isn't done yet
Ah, OK, then I would ask some questions about overall design philosophy.

1. Soviet BMPs tend to have two more seats for the dismounts than they actually have in reality. First additional seat is vehicle commander seat I think as most IFVs and APCs have only two crew, but why there is another one?

Is it made because there is no way to split things like machine gun teams between two different vehicles?

2. Late 80s+ Soviet/Russian motor rifle platoons are under-strength in the game. Standard mech section have 7 men while support one have only six. It is 20 men total for the dismounted element and another 6 in vehicles.

Standard motor rifle section have 8 men in it (section commander, BTR/BMP gunner, BTR/BMP driver and 5 dismounts). And there is another 6 men in the platoon command group which is absent from the game as separate unit.

I always thought that command groups are simply spread out among the rifle squads. So mech sections should be either 7 men (if we have 3 men vehicle crews) or 8 (if commander dismounts too).

Also there should be two man PKM team in each BTR/Platoon after 90s as company machine gun platoon was disbanded. AT assets went to a company command and machine guns were spread out among the platoons.
1/ yes partly partly to save slots when one carrier has 8 capacity and one has 9 it saves making an entire set of 9 by making them all carry 8 ( or vise versa)

2/ we CANNOT simulate reality exactly...close enough has to do. As I said before we've already had other Russians all over this OOB and what you see in mainly their corrections
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: