View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:40 PM

Corporal

aaminoff is on a distinguished road
Default Small slow streamlands for busy newb parents (running)

This will be my first foray into running a game. I welcome constructive criticism of these game parameters.

Host: Llamaserver. game name is SSStreamlands
Era: Early
Players: 6. Parents of small children especially welcome. (see below)
Level: non-vets, as self-defined
Turn frequency: 1 week, quickhost. (see below)
Nations: Land nations only. Hinnom is banned. Niefel is banned (see post #12).
Mods: CBM 1.6
Map: Streamlands 2
Diplomacy: encouraged. non-binding.
Player communication: by email (see below)
Victory: by concession
Other settings: default

If you are shocked & dismayed by the one week turn, let me explain. The intent is that in practice, players will generally get their turns done in a day or two. I claim this is in fact similar to "48 hours, extensions will be freely given", but minus the hassle of having to deal with extension requests and so forth. Since there are only 6 players, the likelihood that any one has a tough week and takes a while should be reduced. Still, please understand that this is a game for busy people, who may need to take a week sometimes, when their 2 year old has to go to the hospital or whatever. I could be wrong - a critical mass of players may always wait till the last minute to do their turn, in which case this will have been a noble failed experiment.

A corrolary to this is I will try to enforce one stale & you are out. If a nation stales, we then have 1 week to find a sub, if we don't find a sub I will set the nation to AI. This does not apply if the stale is for technical or other legitimate reasons rather than lameness.

Any non-veteran player is welcome to join (as self-defined), but I'd like to try to give parents of small children priority. Once all the slots are filled I'll wait another day or so to see if any parents want in, in which case they would bump out the last non-parent signing up. I hope that is clear.

Communication by email: Once we have our roster of players, email or PM me with your email address. I will set up an email list for the game and send out everyones' email addresses to everyone else. This too is in service of "for busy people" - I check my email all the time, but having to go to the shrapnel games forum and check for PMs may not happen all the time. NOTE: To express your interest in playing, post here like usual. PMing me your email address happens after we have the player roster set.

Also in service of "for busy people", is using CBM 1.6 which makes gem generators unique, and the fact that it is a smallish game on a smallish map. Hopefully a conclusion can be reached before we get too far into the massive micromanagement phase.

So, if this gets off the ground I would take Arco

1. aaminoff - Arco (parent)
2. Gregstrom - Yomi (parent)
3. Stagger Lee - Ctis (parent)
4. pyg - Pangaea (parent)
5. Jorus - Caelum
6. Curious Yellow - Ulm

(alternates in case the 6 listed choose not to play for whatever reason)

7. NooBliss - Marverni
8. legolasjrt - Pangaea

Last edited by aaminoff; April 4th, 2010 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: running