View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Corporal

ExplorerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Variations in Friendliness

I began a mod a while ago to try to take things more to the basics of the game, working on balance, modifying the sides' tech a bit to make them more fit enemies/rivals to each other, changing the player's ship a bit.

I had an idea a while ago to have the attitudes of the races vary a bit, randomly. In one game, the Muktians, for example, might get along with you fine (friendly, better than norm), but in another they might try to kill you on first contact, for some unknown xenophobic reason. This makes the game a little more random and interesting; you never quite know what you're getting into when you make first contact.

Well, okay, I admit the main reason why I did it is because I wanted an excuse to blow up Muktian and Zorg ships; I like to always play the good guy, and right now it's impossible to come up with a scenario where you're justified in fighting them, which means you only get to take on three or four ship sets with yours. I'd like to have a more complete spectrum of enemies.

Anyway...

I tried to create an opening quest that would make the race friendly, hostile, or nil, but it didn't have any effect. I tried making varying versions of the same race, with different diplomatic stances, but it either didn't work at all, or I got several versions of the same race in at once, which just makes for confusing gameplay.

Do any of you know how you might implement this sort of effect into a mod? I'd prefer to avoid making it a main quest; I'd like to be able to have both random races and the Kawangi, or Ravians, or Primordius.