View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BETA: PLEI ME version1.0

Ulf,

the main concept of the mission is to first defend the base and then contest the VP locations outside the camp, so perhaps your aggressive tactics (early fighting outside the camp may have weakening the base's defense.

I may also reconsider the values of VP hexes outside the camp by decreasing them.

One variable that I may alter is to add more turns (in order to allow the player to have more available turns to contest the VP locations outside the camp.

I could also add 2-3 Aux MGs to the defenders availability.

Concerning the ammo depots that are too close to the frontlines this is made on purpose in order to force the player (that wishes to win a decisive) to stay there and fight (they cost 100 points each).
These frontal depots are also there to resupply the defenders at a normal rate. Although you are right...maybe a couple of them could be transformed as bunker depots and I will leave 2 of them as normal depots with high modified cost (200) in order to force the player to defend them.

Anyway, the NVA attack should continue until turn 40-50 and the chosen tactical approach to that scenario could make the difference.

The first part of the battle is a defensive battle of attrition and the second part is a battle of methodical: "sweep the NVA positions with arty and then move to their positions"

As long as the wire remains intact the defenses of the camp should hold... maybe a good tactic would be to divide the arty assets between a counter-artillery role and a wire area suppressing role (all around the camp).

Perhaps it would be best if you first focus on the base defense and then counter-attack.

BTW, Are the 2 MG nest of any use?
This is a night battle, what do you think of the visibility?

Note: if you had won the previous (secondary) mission with a desicive, then you would have faced half the NVA mortars, but you would also have started your deployment from X-vertical line 4.

cheers,
Pyros