View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:17 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows Vista and Windows Seven Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPERTVS View Post
Hi, just coming back after a long absence, Im going to improve my desktop PC bot Im not sure if improving to win7 or just sticking with xp, does the game works well with win7 Home Basic 64bits? Feels good to be back!

Thanks in advance
Regards
R
I'm not sure about the 'basic' edition - that is the cut down one without Aero interface and a few other things missing, for notebooks etc?.

Nobody has said that version does not work - or even has mentioned it at all.

My desktop XP box will shortly be replaced by a Windows 7 box. I have XP running on my Windows 7 laptop ATM, in a virtual machine and the game also works fine under that mode too, but mainly the virtual machine will allow the use of older development tools that simply don't work under 7 (like Borland C++ builder, Delphi etc).

Only the "Pro" version of 7 has the XP virtual machine mode, but VMWare have a free edition that does what is needed for non-pro versions
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11060...ons-and-vista/

I downloaded that, and then found my old XP installation disk and then spent a really fun morning installing XP to the virtual machine and installing a squillion updates restarts etc....

Once I had the virtual machine all happy and working, I then copied that to another image (its just a set of files after all!) and then installed some stuff on that new image, and renamed it "development". Thus the original is saved off as a pure install of just XP with nothing else added, and can be copied from as needed in the future without any need to do the entire painful installation process ever again.

VMware was a painless process (bar installing XP)and it installed its own virtual drivers etc automagically so the virtual XP machine session could talk to the Internet and use my wireless network. The only fiddly bit is setting up a shared drive that the virtual machine and windows 7 can both see, if you have a need to transfer files from XP<->7.

Once you have a Vmware virtual XP machine set up as a set of files, you can copy that and make new XP machines for new purposes as needed, copy the files to another machine with VMWare on it and mount it, etc. I am really liking the virtualisation thing, and if it works OK for the development side then I will probably purchase the full programme, as that gives a few extra things that a developer may find he needs.

For a "casual" Windows 7 user, setting up a virtual XP machine is a good way to play the game full-screen without the hassles that 7 introduces. Play it in the virtual sandbox, and swap back and forth as needed!. All you need is your original XP CD, the keys to it (that took some finding, it was on a label on the dell, not on the XP system CD! - it is now printed in ink on my CD sleeve!), and the VMWare free edition. (It may also be an answer for playing other older games that 7 does not like)