View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2017, 08:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone ever played Right-hand vs. Left-hand?

I love PBEM games, but they're mighty slow. And finding that soul that has the same tastes & standards as you is quite difficult. And it's often the case when you have incurred quite a juicy amount of casualty on the enemy's side, they'll just throw the game away, even if it's only 7 turns into the game (I admit I do this too sometimes).

So I'm thinking if I could have a satisfying game playing against myself (no puns intended).

Pros:

(1). Human vs Human (obviously more challenging than against AI).
(2). Very quick turn-rate.
(3). Easily understandable force composition & dispositions, because we bought & deployed them ourselves. unlike in Scenarios where you have to figure out which unit is where for each battle.
(4). Very modifiable & adjustable battle universe (perfect for role-playing types, for example you can reduce ammo or movement stats to simulate shortage in logistics, change Map, etc etc).
(5). No matter which side loses, we always win (unless we take preference on a certain side).

Cons:

(1). Obviously you know very well the enemy's composition & disposition, and know perfectly his entire plan, even when and where his artillery is going to land. But this is somewhat balanced by the fact OpFire phase is handled independently of human intervention; also the fact the enemy knows very well about you too, so it's about move-countermove-countermove-countermove and so on and so forth.
(2). We have to play both sides, which sometimes can get tedious.
(3). No fun factor as in the case with interacting with other human being.

Do you guys have any thought about this play style? Or if you actually have played such a thing, what's your experience on this?

I heard this is not a rare thing to do, especially in more serious & complex games, with huge amount of units and huge area of map, such as HPS Panzer Campaigns, Modern Campaigns, or even War in The Pacific.

Cheers,
ZA.