View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2006, 07:45 AM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carrier 3 inch mortar, what was it.

Quote:
Mobhack said:
since these things are only used for indirect fire,

No they are being used for direct fire, armour protected, close range, direct fire, because they dont have to dismount which is error I am pointing out.
Quote:
Mobhack said:
they have to remain stationary for a turn or so to plot fire. One can assume the mortar is set up beside the vehicle at that point.

This assumption is only correct if it takes 0 time to deploy the mortar. ie in any given situation Formation No. 118 vs unit 130, Formation No. 118, will fire one turn later as this formation takes into account the time taken to set up the mortar, unit 130 does not.

Quote:
Mobhack said:
- use unit #289 (bren carier APC class) which is currently unused, and make a section of 2 with 2 single
3" mortar as a separate formation, and set your availability dates to what you think it should be. Agree with your opponent to only use that formation and your OOB as appropriate.
If your problem is an opponent using sp-mortars as direct fire artillery (which is ahistoric, but the game engine will allow), then simply do not play that opponent, if he continues to insist on doing so. (Or use any cheap tank to remove the problem, as they are thin tin and hence rather vulnerable.)

I just play the game as is, I am interested in discussing areas of the game that can be improved (made more realistic). swapping unit 130 for formation 118 is one of them, You do not have to apply these changes of course but you should admit that my point is in fact correct, which I have as yet not seen. Then the discussion can move forward or end.
Quote:
Mobhack said:
I never use Sp-arty or mortars in direct fire mode, my mortars (SP or otherwise) are always tucked away in dead ground. (But then me served in the bn mortar platoon Exposed arty is soon to be dead arty, I have found.

You are a rarity then. Maybe Im just lucky but my experience is that unit 130 is almost always used as a cheap fast close range infantry killer its Hit value of 9 comparing very well with say the stug 75, a real assault gun, which has hit 5. Ive played 60 or so PBEM
Quote:
Mobhack said:
So - several work-arounds available, rahther than a mass exercise in examining all scenarios and OOBS (UK, CDN, India, Poland etc all have the possibility of the item), just as the patch is being assembled this weekend.

I have offered to do your mass excersise for you, no no, no need to thank me. Nor as far as I am concerned is there any hurry.

The reason this thread continues is because you keep saying you can assume the mortar is deployed beside the vehicle.
You cannot assume that the mortar is deployed beside the vehicle because
1. It still gets the vehicles armour protection
2. It takes 0 time to dismount.
And so, Unit 130 is wrong unless in the ANZAC oob post 43. Im not sure why we are dancing around this but it seems pretty simple to me.
Also Im not sure why you are unwilling to admit the truth of these two points.
I asked a question in my previous post which you didnt answer, I would still be interested to hear your thoughts. So Ill rephrase it here
Does restricting unit 130 to the ANZAC OOB post 1943 and replacing unit 130 with Formation No. 118 elsewhere bugger up the senarios?
Best Regards Chuck.