Old August 11th, 2005, 10:10 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Resources for web site

Quote:
dita said:
Hi all

First of all, I hope none of my commments (now or previously) have been misunderstood or taken out of context I apologise in advance if anyone has misunderstood me!

My "...Though, I`ve a feeling, as this is part of the manual, its copyrighted. But you get the idea" comment was referring to this thread about the manual----

"Sorry, but the manual is copyright.If folks want to read the manual, they can download the free game, which contains the game documentation.
Cheers
Andy"

I was trying give an example, in response to an earlier reply, the sort of thing I wanted to include in a web site. "i`ve a feeling" was my way to see "how the ground lay", (Obviously, I`m not very good at this forum stuff ) I was actually worried that suggesting using the image from the manual may not be the correct thing to do.

I made the conclusion (now I can see I may have jumped to that conclusion) that this infers that the contents of the manual are copyright, that is, I would not be able to use any of the images. I thought that conclusion may have being justified. I realise now that it perhaps was just concerning the distribution of the manual. Please don`t see my comments as moaning about such things, or having a "pop".

The green banner on http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm is the image I had mentioned about using, that is also in the game manual folder.

Once again, sorry if I`ve had upset anyone. I totally respect copyright etc and wish to do things right, whilst supporting an excellent product.
Yes - basically, having third parties offering the manual off site in a different format would not bring anything, and would produce headaches with keeping the third parties efforts in synch with any future updates. Also, some third parties may produce "printable" versions in some localised page format like say USA legal, which would barf on a non-USA printer using ISO standard A4. Not everyone has Word - or if they do, it is Word 95 and not 2000, or the converter used say a font that some folks have. Conversion to PDF (which is a format I detest means a fixed page size for printing - so then the converter would need separate A4, USA letter etc versions. More possible headaches!

And the manual comes with the game download, in any case. It is in HTML as anyone can read that in thier browser - supplying it in Word or PDF would introduce the compatibility issues above. Those who want to convert HTML to Word (say) and then print off a personal copy for thier own use are quite welcome to do so. Putting a copy up on a web site is a probable route to opening a whole can of worms as noted above, and also probably breaks the copyright and/or the distribution rights issue(s) as well. From the distribution notice:
Quote:

EXCEPTED FROM THIS ARE ART, SOUND AND DATA FILES ASSOCIATED WITH USER CREATED ARMIES, SCENARIOS, MAPS AND CAMPAIGNS, IF APPLICABLE. THESE FILES MAY BE DISTRIBUTED NON-COMMERCIALLY.

The unique artwork and data provided within this game are protected by copyright law and may not be used or altered without the express written consent of The Camo Workshop and Shrapnel Games, Inc.

Basically - end users can distribute thier own scenarios, campaigns, OOBS, maps, pictures, sounds and icons. basically, stuff you make with the game editors, SHPED etc. The supplied game documentation etc is not part of that.

As to graphics used on any personal web site - as Don said, those particular banners and any of the images on his linetap.com site are OK to use. (That covers permission for the unique artwork bit, above I believe).

Cheers
Andy