Thread: MOD: Zulu
View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:28 AM

Corporal

RedRover is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MOD: Zulu

Oversway: Thanks for the compliment.

I've paused on this for a few days. The other Credo Mutwe book finally arrived: Induna, My Children, and I have been immersed.

The story is fantastic (it reads a little like the best of the fiction AARs on this site). It is drawn from the oral traditions of The People (Bantu speakers), and covers their migration from sub-Saharan central Africa to what is current day Natal.

It has a huge cast of characters, some of whom are more than human (a fair amount of the narrative is a first person account by the Lost Immortal). By the time the saga ends, two warriors named Qwabe and Zulu are young men. They are founders of their respective tribes. This book is as close to an heroic tradition for the South African region as we are likely to ever get. Highly recommended, even if you have no direct interest in the subject. If you ever wondered about doing an African mod, I consider it essential reading.

For more recent history, I have been looking through Stephen Taylor's Shaka's Children, which is an impressive work as well. This nonfiction popular history starts with the rise of the Zulus in the 1820's, and continues their history to 1990. Good stuff.