Thread: AAR The Days Complete
View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default The Days Complete

Part 1
This is an AAR of scenario #351: The days complete. In this scenario, a Polish mechanized brigade (the 20th) defends against at least a motor rifle brigade, reinforced with AA and my guess is a load of artillery and helos. The Poles want to prevent Russian units from Kaliningrad from crossing the Luna River near the town of Bartoszyce. The town has a couple of bridges that enable a force to overcome the river obstacle. According to the scenario description, I need to:
-Cause at least 35K points of casualties to score a marginal win.
-Keep control of both bridges to score a minor win.
-Suffer less than 18K casualties for a major win.
-Cause 45K casualties and stop the Russian advance for a decisive win.
Having played the previous scenarios of the WW3 series, I suspect that the total amount of Russian units has a total 50-60K value. That is a lot. My forces are:
-2 battalions of mechanized infantry (4 companies each). They are equipped with BMP-1s with Spike ATGMs, which make them my most reliable AT platform.
-1 tank battalion, equipped with T72M1s. These obsolete tanks will not fare well against the probable Russian armor (anything from T72B4s to T90S; I doubt I’ll face Armatas), so good tactics are vital. Contrary to the Cold war, it will be Russians that have the range advantage (and the thermal imaging tanks) plus better armor for their vehicles without a doubt.
-Recon units+ a border squadron. Low combat value, but if they manage to survive for longer than expected they may act as artillery observers and may even cause Russian units to deploy earlier than expected.
-AA units like Grom MANPADs and 23mm AA guns. These may manage to make a helo retreat, or even shoot down one or two, but I doubt they will make an impact.
-An 122mm Gvozdika battalion. This is my fire support and needs to survive if I am to have any hope to survive. Constant shoot and scoot is my plan for these guys. I’ve learned how deadly Russian artillery is the hard way.
-Miscellaneous units like Police, Militia and an Engineer company. Mostly as a last ditch defense.

Terrain

The battlefield is mostly open, with two forests flanking the edges of the map and multiple small villages in the centre. I will post 9 screens of the zoomed out battlefield that cover it completely. In addition, I will highlight the forces present in the area and I will make a small description of the terrain and the aforementioned forces. Every turn after that I will post the terrain part where there are major changes that have happened.

1-Russian recon units detected
2-Polish recon platoon
This is the northwest edge of the map. It has two small villages, Wolka and Wola. There are almost no Polish units there and Russian presence detected is limited. I will just observe the enemy here and just call artillery strikes at good targets of opportunity.

1-Russian Recon detected
2-T90A platoon detected
3-Border squadron units
4-1/1 mech company
5-2/1 mech company
6-1st Tank company
The northern part of the battlefield has several settlements. To the north, Bezledy is garrisoned by a Polish border squadron, which has engaged several Russian recon units. To the right of Bezledy, Russian armor is detected. Further south, the first line of defense for the Poles is occupying the villages of Karolewko, Kiertyny Male and Kiertyny. I expect the main thrust to come from here.

1-Polish recon squad
The northeastern side of the map has one village, Glomno, and a forest which can be a detriment to a potential Russian advance through it. Polish presence here is minimal and no Russian units are detected yet.

to be continued...