Thread: Just Curious
View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2024, 02:03 AM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
This topic reminded me of an interesting article I read a few years ago regarding this very same subject in Strategy & Tactics magazine. The article was about the fact that Spain was pro-Axis but remained neutral throughout WWII. Anyway there was a map of the world concerning food imports. The map showed food imports of all counties in the world just before WWII started. Most all the countries were importing food at a 60% - 90% range, Germany was importing about 86% of their food, Spain wasn't much better, there was a few countries that had plenty of food, I think Canada was one of them, importing only about 6% of their food, but the good old USA stood alone, all by itself, as it imported a whopping 0% of its food! It looked like most countries were reliant on other countries to just feed its people. No wonder why there was a world war. It must have been a very desperate time for everyone in those days.
Something I heard that Francisco Franco said. Spain was pro-Axis in Eastern Europe, Neutral in Western Europe and Pro Allied in North Africa.

troopie