View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:48 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SEV: What am I REALY getting for my money?

Quote:
Ringold said:
Last second idea: You know, SiN Episodes found a ton of pirates out by updating through Steam exclusively. If Malfador does the same thing then patches would be more of a pain to distribute. We legitimate customers wouldn't even know a patch occured because it'd happen automagically next time we ran Steam. Pirates on the other hand would flood the message boards revealing themselves all complaining about the bug that was just patched, as happened with SiN. Don't know if thats feasible, random idea though. They want new features and patches, then pay up!
I kind of have to disagree here. For example, the whole idea Steam is based upon assumes the entire user base has constant access to high-speed internet. This is one reason I don't like Steam. I'm stuck with dial-up internet, and really don't have a choice about it until I move to a larger population center. Second reason I don't like Steam is the very fact that you don't have a hardcopy. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like something physical that shows I own the product, something that isn't just on my computer and in someone's database showing that, yes, I'm allowed to own that product. It opens up a host of potential problems, from people hacking into Steam's database to allow whoever they want to download whatever they want, or even simple database errors which could cause Steam to reject whatever I'm trying to legitimately download.

Sorry for the rant about Steam, it's not really the topic this thread it about!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )