View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2018, 09:27 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Helicopter inaccuracies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
"a 7.62 mini gun and a 40mm grenade launcher".....we have two mini guns and no 40mm GL....so now I wait for "The Marine" to reply.......
Sorry it's taken so long to respond.

I suspect there's some confusion between the "Cobra" and "Huey" here. As far as I know no Huey ever had a chin turret, but the initial AH-1G did sport a chin turret mounting both a 7.62 mini gun and a 40mm GL.

As to mounting mini guns on Hueys ... moreso then the US Army the USMC tends to use whatever is handy (or someone can "borrow") when arming vehicles and helos rather then an official armaments set-up. You see that with folks putting 30-cals on observation helos during Korea, rocket pods on UH-34's, strapping 106mm recoilesses under the wings of OV-10's, etc.

So the initial UH-1E gunship (Unit# 117 65-67) mounts a pair of M60 door guns and a pair of 7-shot rocket pods. The later UH-IE+ (Unit# 884 67-71) changes the door guns for miniguns. Was this always the case? Of course not. But I'm sure they'd do so whenever possible, and for the sake of the game I did it that way.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post: