View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2018, 06:51 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Re-Crew Abandoned Vehicles and Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
As I said above - the J key only applies in the deployment phase. It has no effect in the ongoing game, since J acts to instantly reunite the 2 wherever on the map they are placed, which cannot happen in the playing game.

As I said above - to reunite crews in the underway game they have to be moved back to the hex of the abandoned item and left there. And of course only the correct crew will reload onto their vehicle or gun.
Well, I could not get the AI to rejoin a crew with their vehicle when that crew is not in the same hex. I explored waypoints, but of course the waypoint is assigned to the unit not the crew, and finally I tested using reinforcement turn (RT), where I found some success. Placing the crew in the same hex with their vehicle and setting a RT works; however, the value is diminished as the de-crewed vehicles are in an abandoned state and cannot be targeted, so the player would have to wait until the vehicle is crewed (the player may not know the reinforcement turn). However, for a player scenario, say crews in barracks or crews having meals (otherwise, crews surprised), de-crewing vehicles could be woven into a scenario rather interestingly.

More information is needed to determine how damage points would be awarded. If a vehicle can not be destroyed, should the crew value be increased as compensation for the loss of damage points lost due to the vehicle in an abandoned state? No. You see I found the unit cost is the crew cost. When a unit is abandoned, the crew carries that cost less any damage. Question, do we loose damage points because we did not destroy the vehicle?

Without the AI re-joining crews, the player side scenario is most viable as the one Suhiir is developing.

Wait, won't the AI rejoin crews in para drops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
There will be no repair of vehicles in battles that rarely run for greater than an hour of real time. How long does it take you to repair a roadside puncture? - repairing a broken track takes several hours. Repairing an engine will take your REME fitters overnight at least, plus recovery time to the field workshops.
There is a "thin line between love and hate" (The Persuaders, 1971), and a fine line between a game and a simulation.