View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2018, 01:57 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Implementing A Reverse Slop Defense

Reverse Slope Defense

A reverse slope defence is a military tactic where a defending force is positioned on the slope of an elevated terrain feature such as a hill, ridge, or mountain, on the side opposite from the attacking force.

It is alternately described as a positioning technique characterized by the location of defensive forces on a slope of a hill, ridge, or mountain that descends away from the enemy.

My Implementation

I took a flat desert map in the Map Editor, using the "*5" key sequence to create an elevation stretching several hexes. Afterwards, I flattened all hexes adjacent to the created elevation. Returning to the Editor I deployed AFVs adjacent to the elevated hexes facing the elevated hexes (towards the expected path of the opposing force hidden by the elevated hexes).

The AFVs remain hidden until an approaching vehicle moved over an elevated hex. Then bam!

Any thoughts on how to better implement a reverse slop defense in the game?

In this implementation, the player must mouse over hexes of the unit intended path (a practice I emphasis) to notice the difference in hex elevation.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse-slope-defense.GIF
Views:	10342
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	15351  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reverse-slope-defense_depiction.jpg (47.9 KB, 1502 views)
File Type: jpg M3A2-approach-crest.JPG (48.7 KB, 982 views)
File Type: jpg M3A2-at-crest.JPG (37.4 KB, 978 views)

Last edited by shahadi; April 15th, 2018 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Title change