View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fortress to Province ratio

Quote:
das123 said:
Also, by having just one army, when it gets wiped (and it always does) I am in a lot of trouble. That's why I try to build forts instead. How do you guys cater for this?
Depends on the situation. I never have just one army, but if I'm in a war of attrition I may have only two or three. (The Army of the Potomac and Army of the Tennessee, as it were.) If I'm not fighting someone through a chokepoint I will probably have five or six that sometimes merge temporarily or permanently. The problem with having one big army, of course, is that when you lose it's usually because the enemy pulled out a surprise that you weren't ready for (like a pretender or a second army or a new spell or a battle that turns out to be in severe cold and a swamp so all your units get fatigued to death by his chaff). By using one big army you have a better chance in any particular battle, but you also have no way to recover if things go sour. (Well, there are still usually survivors that you can gather up.) You're also not forcing him to split his forces, and finally you have no mobile reserve in case somebody else attacks you along a different border.

The only really helpful thing I can suggest is to be 1.) constantly massing reinforcements at your forts that you can ferry occasionally to wherever they're needed, 2.) researching spells so that your librarians can defend the base (together with the PD) when needed, thus holding a border at the cost of slowing down research. It really depends upon your nation.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]