Old March 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Shurzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBob View Post
For my 2 pfennings worth, I wasn't involved in the previous disussions. Two thoughts occur, what about the screen type Shurzen in the latter part of the war, it would seem these were not aimed at ATR's but HEAT rounds?
Nope, both types of Schürzen were designed to defeat ATR rounds. When tested in February 1943, both the solid plate and the wire-mesh types were tried out and both worked against ATRs. The solid plates were choosen, because the brackets for the wire-mesh type was not ready. Later, that problem was solved and the wire-mesh type introduced as a weight saving measure, AFAIK

Quote:
The Soviets even took to mounting bedsprings at least on some tanks. I have to wonder whether these measures were more to give the crews some sense of protection, as the addition of sandbags and tracks did for the crews using them.
AFAIK the "bedsprings" were in fact specially designed anti-HEAT shields, the purpose being to catch the slow moving PzFaust wearhead without detonating it. The distance between the shield and the main armour was insufficient to prevent penetration if the round went off.

Claus B
Thanks Claus, certainly makes sense, and certainly explains what he idea behind the "bedsprings" was. Interesting how decisions made can have effect all out of perpective to the orginal intent. The Soviets retained their ATR's when other forces had dumped them. Figuring any weapon was better than none and they would at least usefull against light armoured vehicles. The result was causing the Germans to waste even more resources defending against them and causing the invention or at least the first particial stand-off armour. And people question how can WWII history can remain interesting!!!???

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe