View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infantry AT Weapons

My last post was delayed, as I walked away with my browser open, so I posted before seeing the last couple of posts...Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

However.

PIAT------- OK as is.
Agree
(Based on lowered range of the panzershreck, which makes things more fair)

Quote:
Panzerfaust ------- OK as is
Agree. I understood that the Panzerfaust represented was a composite and thought it was done well.

Quote:
Panzershreck------- FWIW the range for all Panzershreck in the game are 4 hexes EXCEPT Germany. Before the paranoids start pointing fingers it's NOT deliberate it's just a garden variety screw up. In DOS version 7 all were made range 4 but some reason ( I could guess all day and still not be 100 % certain I'm right.perhaps a test was run and the range not reset ?? ) the Windows versions ended up with it set to 6 for Germany and 4 for everyone else and it's been that way ever since . All in all 3 is probably a better range and I've made a note of that. ( Penetration is either 160 or 200 mm. Take your pick of experts. I'll make a note of that as well but I'm inclined to the 200 mm figure. Certainly not the 100mm nonsense. Germany has 20 pen and all the rest have 23 so that will be looked at too and the 23 knocked down to at least 20 for certain
I'd be happy with a panzershreck range of 150 with pen of 20 or 23 (In WW2 does it make a difference ).

Quote:
:
Bazooka. Certainly a lot of people seem to think the range should be reduced even though we have it 1/3 the range often quoted AND we have a penetration figure under both what Hogg is quoted as giving it ( in a real book ) and what Bishop is quoted as giving it so we could already be accused of under cutting it's actual abilities. 4 hexes range, given what is widely published actually seems low even though that might be a bit high for practical purposes in combat. Penetration of 10 is obviously debateable but so is just about everything else. That penetration figure pops up over and over and over
The Bazooka penetration was tough to nail down. A pen of 10 is right in the middle of the range and you can't argue with that.

The range was also tough. I'll defer to your better judgement.

Quote:
:
Also note that Hogg says that the bazooka "The fuse armed during the rockets flight " then compare that to the quote about " one officer fired 22 bazooka rounds at about 15 yards range against the rear of the t34 tanks where their armor is weakest, but to no effect" then ask....maybe...... just maybe....... was he was standing too close for the fuse to properly arm or , as Claus noted, the angle of the rear armour may have been just right to deflect the bomb.
Good Point. Didn't think of that.

At least we found the Panzershreck range disparity as a result of this thread. So some good came out of it...

cheers,
Cross

ps. Don, don't be so hard on your head. This thread was fun.