Thread: Map New Map - Aomdom
View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:52 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Map - Aomdom

Yep Gandalf. Your post over in the "Excellent software for mapmakers" topic (Dom3 forum) prompted me do this project. But I must confess that I have been playing around with trying to use old games for dom maps ever since getting dom2. I had looked at using AoM and Age of Kings, but at the time I could not figure out where I had seen the screen capture stuff. Thinking back now, I believe that I had seen a screen shot/logo over at MFO that depicted an entire map. Obviously I didn't search hard enough last time, but the conversation in the other thread prompted me to look for it again. (Thanks!)

I had really wanted to use Age of Wonders. I even went so far as to start a small sprite library of some of the map features to use as pieces in a Dom2 map. I still hope to use some of them in a map someday. That project led me into my HexMap project. I even used it to add the anchors and for guessing neighbors in this map.

BTW Gandalf, your web page of ideas over at dom2minions has been an inspiration to many of my projects (many of which have never seen the light of day and probably never will). I especially like your semi-random map idea. It really got me started on creating my own personal random map generator which is stuck in lack-of-time limbo.

(OT: I hate these smileys . They show too much teeth. )
Map Forge - Map editor