View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:02 PM

Private

Waltorious is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugger View Post
Hi,
Perhaps you could be offered a contract with a MegaCorp ('Evil-is-Us') at a bankers station occasionally. Taking the contract gives you a % discount for a particular commodity 'cause that's what Evil Corp deals in.
Another way to do something like this is to simply have a "delivery" quest, kind of like the banker delivery quests, except the quest requires buying and transporting a certain number and type of goods to a specific sector. That way there'd be a cash reward on top of the money from the trade. This wouldn't be as free-form as true trading but it would give ships with a lot of cargo space another way to make good money.

Some races have similar quests already, but I'm imagining something more specific, like "transport 12 units of Chemicals from sector 4 to sector 6". You could give some justification, e.g. there's a shortage which resulted in a rush order or something and they need a courier.

I think it would also be pretty cool to have the opportunity to transport contraband, and engage in smuggling operations. Maybe the Pirates could offer quests related to this? (I've not tried any Pirate quests yet, so I'm not sure what they're like currently.) This would be harder to implement as you'd probably need to add some devices and effects that help one get illegal goods into stations without being detected.

Actually, contraband might not fit with the lore that well, since the Bankers would be happy to trade any kind of good as long as it's profitable. So maybe the Bankers could offer missions to smuggle goods to other races? "The Limoquee have foolish restrictions on trading stim-ware. Find a way around their patrols and deliver this stim-ware shipment to a Limoquee spacehome." Something like that? The pirates might offer similar, especially since Limoquee shoot pirates on sight, so the player could be their "undercover" delivery ship.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waltorious For This Useful Post: