View Single Post
Old August 29th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

Verjigorm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nub Bash 2010 - Late Age - Started

Well then, this little war erupted over a misunderstanding. See.. I missed the turn on which it was your property and didn't notice the changeover until after the battle had occurred. I assumed that you had taken it forcibly the turn before. I figured I missed the message because the message logs are so long at this stage of the game, I occasionally miss an event.

I obviously couldn't allow you to control it because it is a choke point between the southern and northern fractions of that portion of the map. I suppose, however, that it would have been better diplomatically (had I known it was taken from independents) to trade that province for the southern port island that connects to (formerly) Mictlan.

You never offered anything I wanted in exchange for that province. That little island is ****ing valuable and would have provided me a route for invasion of Mictlan which would eliminate a competing blood nation which, at the time, was my plan for after I finished with R'lyeh. Then both of them went AI and that, of course, changed everything. I wasn't interested in expanding eastward because all of the players on that portion of the map had gone AI--I've been calling that rather large Northeastern region "AI Land" for some time and had no interest in it since there was no real people to fight.

It was more interesting fighting you anyway, and I was bored which is why I chose to attack rather than negotiate.

I suppose, though, that I could go for letting this game slip into the recesses of history and concede, not based on the fact that I don't think it would be possible to beat Atlantis, but more rather based on the fact that I would have to consume all of Jomon before doing so and he would still have a leg up due to the gem income....

Septimus? Would you like a gimme win? If you want to continue we can still go at it, I think I can come up with a few more things, but it will probably be a lot of vs. AI between you and I unless you want to unfreeze the seas (which I can easily refreeze, btw). Plus you're relying on resource-generated troops in a nation with death scales...

Additionally... LA Ulm appears to be a very good turtling nation. You can't invade it with anything that doesn't have shields because of the Black Priests, and you need strong a strong dominion assault to punch through. I had the strong dominion assault ready, but I should have gone with my original idea and held the Juggernauts back until after the battle to prevent them from getting routed, and I didn't have shielded units. Demon Knights and Storm Demons would have been the best mix for that offensive.

Anyway... I have most of the Ice Devils insane or horror marked to the point at which summoning them isn't worthwhile anymore.... Belphegor got multi-horror marked so much that I can't keep him alive, either, and Mabakiel is quite insane (as well a lot of the ice devils). Its difficult to switch from Blood SC chassis with AC up, too.

The AC, btw, was a successful defense against the Nexus--without AC up, the Nexus was generating 70-100 gems per turn. Once you put AC up, the income from the Nexus dropped to 25/turn which means it takes 6 turns just to pay for the base cost of casting it, and I think you guys were able to dispel it in something like 6-8 turns.

People always say that the Nexus is "invulnerable", but it's definitely easier to defeat that people think it is. AC is a very potent counter.

Oh! another interesting thing about Bogarus: My pretender has been horror marked so badly that he gets attacked by a horror (usually a Doom Horror), every turn, and when he casts a spell, he gets attacked by two, and for some reason even though he has really high Astral magic, he always uses an extra pearl to cast Returning (uses 3 instead of 2 unless he only has 2), so I can't just give him 4 pearls when he casts a spell because he gets wasted by the second horror attack and loses any boosters I put on him. I have to give him 6 pearls. Therefore he costs 2 pearls per turn to keep him free of afflictions, and each spell he casts requires an additional 6 pearls to prevent him from dying in the process. I also didn't like his build and would change him significantly in the future.

Last edited by Verjigorm; August 29th, 2010 at 01:59 PM..